Evidence-Based Practice Resources
NOTE: To use the resources identified by , you will need to set up a LibAccess Account
- Evidence-Based Medicine: What it is and what it isn't
- Evidence-based Medicine: A New Approach to Teaching the Practice of Medicine
- Construct a relevant, answerable question from a clinical case.
- Plan and carry out a search of the literature for the best external evidence.
- Critically appraise the literature for validity and applicability.
- Apply the evidence to your clinical practice.
- Evaluate your performance.
- Flemming K. EBN notebook. Asking answerable questions. Evidence-Based Nursing 1998;1:36-37.
- Formulating Answerable Clinical Questions (Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine, Mount Sinai Hospital) Including: Educational prescription
- The Well-Built Clinical Question (Duke University Medical Center Library and Health Sciences Library, UNC-Chapel Hill
- Asking Focused Questions (Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine, Oxford)
[ [Adapted from DiCenso, Bayley and Haynes (2009). ACP Journal Club. Editorial: Accessing pre-appraised evidence: Fine-tuning the 5S model into a 6S model. Annals of Internal Medicine, 151(6):JC3-2, JC3-3.]
“An evidence-based clinical information system integrates and concisely summarizes all relevant and important research evidence about a clinical problem, is updated as new research evidence becomes available, and automatically links (through an electronic medical record) a specific patient’s circumstances to the relevant information."
"These include clinical pathways or textbook summaries that
integrate evidence-based information about specific clinical
problems and provide regular updating."
"A synthesis or systematic
review is a comprehensive summary of all the research
evidence related to a focused clinical question."
[More information on systematic reviews]
“...a synopsis that summarizes the findings of a high-quality systematic review can often provide sufficient information to support clinical action... the synopsis of a single study provides a brief, but often sufficiently detailed, summary of a high-quality study that can inform clinical practice."
- Evidence-Based Nursing (before 2010)
- ACP Journal Club
- Evidence-Based Medicine (before 2010)
- Evidence-Based Mental Health
- Current Cancer Treatment Reviews (Incorporating Evidence-Based Oncology)
- BMJ Clinical Evidence
- PIER: the Physicians' Information and Education Resource
- UpToDate (On-campus access only)
- Best Practice Guidelines (Registered Nurses Association of Ontario)
- AGREE (Appraisal of Guidelines Research & Evaluation)
- CMA Infobase: clinical practice guidelines -- Canadian Medical Association
- National Guideline Clearinghouse (United States)
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Evidence (NICE - UK)
- Evidence-Based Guidelines (Program in Evidence-Based Care) (Cancer Care Ontario) Practice Guidelines (Program in Evidence-Based Care)
- CATmaker (Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine, Oxford University)
- CATwalk: a guided walk through the process of doing a CAT (University of Alberta Libraries)
- MacPLUS FS (McMaster Health Knowledge Refinery)
Only available to McMaster affiliates, please register or login via MedPortal
- TRIP (Turning Research Into Practice) Database (Clinical Effectiveness Initiative for Wales)
- SUM Search
- Users' guide to the Medical Literature
- EBM Toolbox
- Glossaries and other resources for understanding health care statistics terminology
- Clinical Epidemiology & Evidence-Based Medicine Glossary
- Bandolier Evidence-Based Health Care
- Cancer Care Ontario Program in Evidence-Based Care (PEBC)
- Therapeutics Initiative: Evidence-Based Drug Therapy
- Introduction to Evidence-Based Medicine (Duke University Medical Center Library and Health Sciences Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill)
- Clinical Skills
- Evidence-based Surgery (SOURCE: Surgical Outcomes Research Centre):
- Incudes the Evidence-Based Surgery articles from the Canadian Journal of Surgery
- The Canadian Cochrane Centre / Centre de Cochrane Canadien
- Centre for Evidence-based Medicine (Mount Sinai Hospital, University of Toronto)
- Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine (Oxford, England)
- Cochrane Collaboration
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
Need some help? Contact: Liz Bayley
Health Sciences Library, HSC-2B28
Tel: (905)525-9140, ext. 22545