Monday - Friday
9am - 5pm
Please make an appointment by email.
Dr. C. Barber Mueller, first chairman of the Department of Surgery, 1967-72, surgeon and educator, has been extremely generous to the Health Sciences Library and to the historical collections in particular. He donated his extensive collection of papers relating to his career and the medical school to the Archives. The room that the historical collections are located in was named the C. Barber Mueller History of Health and Medicine Room in his honour.
Dr. Charles Roland, 1933-2009, Inaugural Jason A. Hannah Professor in the History of Medicine at McMaster and Professor Emeritus, McMaster University, was an extremely generous benefactor to the historical collections. He donated hundreds of volumes over the years in dozens of subjects. He transfered his research material to the Archives including hundreds of oral history audiotapes and transcripts, thus allowing other historians located all over the world to benefit from his work. His generosity enriched the collections and thus the education of McMaster's students immeasurably.
Dr. Peter Cockshutt, first chairman of the Department of Radiology, 1967-77, was deeply interested in the history of health care, in particular radiology. In 1986 he donated his collection of rare radiology materials to the historical collections. .
Dr. William Spaulding, 1922-1993, first associate dean of health sciences, founder of the family medicine program at McMaster and founder of the Diabetic Day-Care clinic in Hamilton, was deeply interested in the history of health care. He wrote the book A Revitalizing medical education: McMaster University Medical School, the early years, 1965-1974. He collected books on a wide variety of subjects, including rare volumes. When he died in 1993, he bequeathed his collection to the Health Sciences Library. He also donated his papers on the founding of the medical school to the Archives.
Dr. Mary Tremblay, associate professor in the School of Rehabilitation Science, helped to found the Occupational Therapy Program at Mohawk College and was a Director of the Degree Completion Program for the Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy at McMaster University. Her research made her a central figure in the history of disability and rehabilitation, spiral cord injury rehabilitation, war and disability in the twentieth century, and aging with a pre-existing disability and the human rights of the disabled. Her sudden death in 2009 so shortly after her retirement was a loss to the whole University.
Her daughter, Ms. Karen Dolynick on behalf of her mother, has generously donated all of Dr. Tremblay's research material to the Archives of the Faculty of Health Sciences. This material includes printed material as well as the audiotapes and transcripts of interviews which Dr. Tremblay conducted with rehabilitation patients and therapists. By donating them to the Archives Ms. Dolynick has made sure that Dr. Tremblay's research materials which were carefully gathered over a life time, will continue to be used by researchers. Also included in the donation was a large collection of books on many aspects of rehabilitation and the history of rehabilitation.
The Hannah Institute for the History of Medicine, Associated Medical Services (AMS)
The Hannah Institute for the History of Medicine was formed in the 1970's to support of scholarly activity in the history of medicine as a legacy tribute in honour of Dr. Jason Hannah, the founder of AMS. McMaster was one of five medical faculties initially endowed with a Hannah Chair. Dr. Charles Roland was the inaugural chair in 1977. As part of the endowment, money was given to the Health Sciences Library to support the building of the history of health and medicine collection. We could not have done without this support. Thank you AMS.