Archives

of Hamilton Health Sciences & Faculty of Health Sciences

sanitorium

Hamilton Health Sciences Collection

This institution has a long history in Hamilton and has evolved from several earlier institutions. The Archives holds records from all of these earlier institutions.

  • Mountain Sanatorium, 1906-1960
  • Chedoke General and Children's Hospital, 1961-1970
  • Chedoke Hospitals, 1970-1979
  • Chedoke-McMaster Hospitals, 1979-1997 with two hospitals, Chedoke Hospital and McMaster University Medical Centre.
  • Hamilton Health Sciences, 1997- with 6 hospitals, Chedoke Hospital, Hamilton General Hospital, Juravinski Hospital (formerly Henderson), McMaster Children's Hospital, McMaster University Medical Centre, St. Peter's Hospital, West Lincoln Memorial Hospital, the Jurvanski Cancer Centre, the Main Street West Urgent Care Centre.
Dr. Oded Bar-Or Dr. Oded Bar-Or, was the first and founding director of the Children’s Exercise and Nutrition Program. His papers include planning material, reports, correspondence, and conference material. 10 linear feet of records.
Dr. John Basmajian Dr. John Basmajian was a professor in the Department of Medicine and Anatomy at McMaster University, 1977-1986. He was the first and founding director of the Chedoke Rehabilitation Centre. He was a very early pioneer in biofeedback as a diagnostic tool. His papers include correspondence, memoirs, conference material, research material and awards. 9 linear feet of records.
Chedoke-McMaster Hospitals Archive This collection contains the administrative records for Chedoke Hospitals, 1960-1979, McMaster University Medical Centre, 1972-1979 and for the amalgamated hospital known as Chedoke-McMaster Hospitals, 1979-1997. It includes the minutes of all the major committees, reports and publications by the hospitals. 101 linear feet of records.
Hamilton Civic Hospitals This is the corporate name of the Henderson General Hospital and the Hamilton General Hospital which amalgamated in 1973. It contains administrative records from both institutions prior to amalgamation and records since amalgamation plus a large collection of photographs, 1898-1997. 27 linear feet of records.
Hamilton General Hospital School of Nursing The school of nursing was founded at the Hamilton General Hospital in 1890 and continued to graduate nurses until 1973 which training programs such as this were transferred to community colleges, in this case Mohawk College in Hamilton. This collection includes course material, uniforms and photographs largely donated by individual alumni. These individual collections are described under "Affiliated Collections" under the donors surname.
Hamilton Health Association Archives The Hamilton Health Association was the administrative body which administered the Mountain Sanatorium, Hamilton, Ontario from 1906-1960 and Chedoke Hospitals, 1960-1979. It includes administrative records and an extensive photograpic collection. 72 linear feet of records  Subfonds
Hamilton Health Sciences Hamilton Health Sciences is the corporate body which administers the medical facilities under its aegis. It began in 1997. It includes the minutes of major committees, reports and publications by the hospital, 1997-current. 112 linear feet of records.
Dr. Daniel Offord and the Offord Centre for Studies of Children at Risk Dr. Daniel Offord was the first and founding director of the Offord Centre for Studies of Children at Risk. His papers include planning material, correspondence, reports and publications regarding the centre. 7 linear feet of records.
Department of Public Affairs This collection contains extensive information and photographs about past events in Chedoke-McMaster Hospitals. 12 linear feet of records.
St. Peter's Hospital St. Peter's Hospital began its existence as St. Peter's Hospital for Incurables in 1890. It became part of Hamilton Health Sciences in 2008. This collection includes administrative records including annual and financial reports going back to the earlierst days. Most of the collection dates from the 1980's however including an extensive photograph collection. 41 linear feet of records.
Volunteer Association This collection contains information about the Volunteer Association and its work at Chedoke-McMaster Hospitals. 7.5 linear feet of records.
Ray Walker, President of McMaster University Medical Centre, 1972-1979 Mr. Walker's papers contain administrative records for McMaster University Medical Centre, 1972-1979 including the planning and construction of the medical centre which opened in May 1972. 26 linear feet of records.
West Lincoln Memorial Hospital West Lincoln Memorial Hospital, Grimsby, Ontario was founded in 1946. It became part of Hamilton Health Sciences in 2014. The collection contains predominantly administrative records, 1946-2010. 24 linear feet of records.