Large Group Study Room (1B20) Booking Policy
The goal of the Large Group Study Room (1B20) Booking Policy is to provide fair and equitable access to a limited resource.
Failure to follow these policies, or other applicable library policies, may result in a temporary or permanent suspension of booking group study rooms.
General Policies Governing the Appropriate Use of 1B20:
- This room is intended for groups of six or more students (up to 18 individuals).
- This room is intended ONLY for group study!
- Study rooms are NOT available for meetings, classes, tutorials, review sessions, extended office hours, clubs, or organizations.
- Vacate the study room when your time is up.
- The room must be vacated 15 minutes prior to the library closing.
- The library's Regulations Governing Behaviour applies to all group study rooms.
- If you find that a room was left in poor condition by the previous occupants, report it immediately to the Service Desk.
- The Health Sciences Library is not responsible for personal items left unattended in these rooms.
- Keys are available to sign out upon request. Charges will apply for keys not returned by the end of the booking time.
- Students must register with a valid MAC ID in order to use the online booking system.
- If a booking is no longer needed, it should be cancelled so the room can be released for other students to book.
Same Day Large Group Study Room Booking:
- Reservations can only be made online.
- A valid McMaster University student ID must be presented when making a reservation and at the time room keys are signed out at the Service Desk.
- The student that made the reservation must be the same person who signs out the room key.
- Bookings are held for 15 minutes after which the reservation is invalid, and another group may use the room.
- Normally, the room is available for a maximum period of three hours. No renewals are permitted. However, if a time period longer than three hours is required, permission may be granted on a case-by-case basis. For more information, contact your Library Liaison. Advance notice is required.
- This study room can be signed out for immediate or same day use on a first come, first served basis to all McMaster University students.
Advanced Large Group Study Room Booking:
- During the months of September and January, this room is not available for advanced booking.
- Reservations can be made up to seven days in advance by Faculty of Health Sciences students (see below).
- Each Health Sciences student may have only one pre-booking within a seven day period. If a student has already pre-booked a room, they are still eligible to use another room on a first come, first served basis.
- Only students in the following departments, schools or programs within the Faculty of Health Sciences are able to pre-book a room:
- Nursing (McMaster Campus students only)
- Bachelor of Health Sciences
- Rehabilitation Sciences
- Residents (all programmes)
- Pharmacology Co-op students
- Child Life Studies
- Physician Assistant
- All FHS Graduate Programs (includes Health Research Methodology and Medical Sciences)
For clarification, questions or concerns, contact your Library Liaison.
This policy only applies to the Study Room on the lower floor of the (HSC 1B20). See Group Study Room Booking Policy for more information about other bookable group study spaces in the Health Sciences Library.